For the last week and a bit, I've had the honour of leading our annual president's delegation to East Asia. This year our travels took us to Thailand, Singapore, Hong Kong and Shenzhen, China, to maintain and build partnerships that will serve Waterloo well for years to come.
This annual trip is one of our major internationalization efforts throughout the year. It's a symbol of Waterloo's global leadership in redefining university education as highly innovative, entrepreneurial, and connected to industry.
We made sure to connect with many of our closest friends and stakeholders in the region, while forming new alliances that will grant exciting opportunities to our students and faculty.
- First stop: Thailand, where I was incredibly proud to receive an honorary doctorate of mechanical engineering from the Suranaree University of Technology
- On Wednesday, November 9th I met with Peter Mathieson, Vice-Chancellor and President of Hong Kong University and fellow partner in the HeForShe UN Women’s HeForShe IMPACT 10x10x10 campaign
- On Wednesday, November 9th I spoke at a Canadian Chamber lunch on nurturing an innovation ecosystem
- On Friday, November 11th we signed a Master Agreement with Huawei for world class research and innovation on information and communications technology
- On Friday, November 11th we signed a Cotutelle agreement with the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST), allowing students to complete dual-degree Doctorate Degrees from both UWaterloo and HKUST
- On Friday, November 11th we signed an agreement with Tsinghua University in Bejing, China to explore collaborative graduate education
- On Saturday, November 12th we hosted an alumni dinner in Hong Kong with 250 alumni in attendance (Next year our HK Alumni Chapter will celebrate its 40th anniversary!)
- On Sunday, November 13th we participated in Hong Kong’s Remembrance Day services by laying a wreath in at the Cenotaph
Finally: our entire #UWaterlooAsia delegation team is incredibly grateful for all the alumni and organizers who put in countless hours to ensure this ambitious, complex, international effort was smooth and productive. Thank you!