We are very proud of our diverse and highly rated graduate program, and the accomplishments of our graduate students.
We are committed to providing graduate students with an intellectually stimulating, flexible, and friendly environment in which to pursue their studies. We also endeavour to provide dequate funding to meet students' tuition and housing costs, along with a modest living stipend. We make every effort to ensure that students can complete their doctoral degrees in a timely manner.
The top 10 reasons for pursuing graduate studies in Psychology at the University of Waterloo:
- Our department is intensely research-oriented and intellectually exciting with many research groups, centres, and labs. In a 2010 published citation analysis of Canadian Psychology Departments, we ranked number 1 in terms of total citations, citations/publication, highly cited departmental publications.
- We provide incoming PhD students with a guaranteed minimum level of funding 22,293 for four years.
- We have an exemplary record of helping our students to receive funding for their studies from Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC), Natural Sciences & Engineering Research Council (NSERC), and Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) – more than half of our current students have been awarded one of these graduate scholarships.
- Any student who receives an award from SSHRC, NSERC, CIHR, or Ontario Graduate Scholarship (OGS), will have this award "topped-up" by the President's Graduate Scholarship given by the University for each year that the award is held.
- Students receive financial support to present their research at scientific conferences.
- Our program is strongly focused on students' research training and research accomplishments, and students are not required to do comprehensive/milestone exams.
- The Graduate Association of Students in Psychology (GASP) is very active, arranging regular get-togethers and events.
- Graduate student housing is new, affordable, close to campus.
- The Kitchener-Waterloo community is dynamic, ethnically diverse, high-tech and innovative - yet enjoys a low cost of living. The community of Waterloo includes many parks, trails, recreation facilities, and opportunities for sports and outdoor activities.
- Our graduate students have an excellent track record of receiving postdoctoral academic, research, education and industry positions (see Careers of Alumni).
We look forward to receiving your application!
Last updated: Oct 6, 2016