BA, California State University, Los Angeles; PhD, University of Minnesota
My primary research interests center around leadership (i.e., women and minority leaders and leadership and health) and diversity and inclusion in organizational and educational settings (i.e., gender and racial/ethnic differences in workplace experiences and outcomes). A common theme that runs through my two primary research interest areas is identity development and management. Understanding identity issues is central to understanding both domains. For example, being a leader, gender, race, and sexual orientation are all social identities that are often central to workers’ self-concept. My research contributes to our understanding of how workers manage their multiple personal identities and the implications of identity conflict and compatibility for job performance and well-being. I also have secondary research interests in personality assessment and measurement and occupational health psychology (i.e., work-family issues and worker well-being).
Selected recent publications
- Anseel, F., Beatty, A. S., Shen, W., Lievens, F., & Sackett, P. R. (in press). How are we doing after more than 30 years? A meta-analytic review of the antecedents and outcomes of feedback-seeking behavior. Journal of Management.
- Bono, J. E., Shen, W., & Yoon, D. J. (2014). Personality and leadership: Looking forward, looking ahead. In D. V. Day (Ed.), The Oxford Handbook of Leadership and Organizations. New York: Oxford University Press.
- Bono, J. E., Glomb, T. M., Shen, W., Kim, Y. J., & Koch, A. J. (2013). Building positive resources: Effects of positive events and positive reflection on work-stress and health. Academy of Management Journal, 56, 1601-1627.
- Shen, W., & Dumani, S. (2013). The complexity of marginalized identities: The social construction of identities, multiple identities, and the experience of exclusion. Industrial Organizational Psychology: Perspectives on Science and Practice, 6, 84-87.
- Shen, W., Kiger, T. B., Davies, S. E., Rasch, R. L., Simon, K. M., & Ones, D. (2011). Samples in applied psychology: Over a decade of research in review. Journal of Applied Psychology, 96, 1055-1064.