The School of Public Health and Health Systems is a division of the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences
Your first-year electives
- You will request your two fall-term electives between July 2-8, 2019
- You will request your one winter-term elective, along with all of your required winter-term courses, in September.
- Learn more about the course selection period, and how to request your courses.
How to choose
You can choose whichever elective courses you want in your first year.
- In either the fall or winter term, we suggest you take an English course.
We’ve prepared a few categories of suggestions. You can also review the Public Health degree requirements.
Most importantly, read the course descriptions and choose electives that you’re interested in!
You need to eventually take one of these three English courses to complete your degree, so why not consider taking one now. These are English-writing courses that will help you hone the writing skills you’ll need in your program.
- ENGL 109 – Introduction to Academic Writing (fall and winter)
- ENGL 140R – The Use of English (fall and winter)
- ENGL 210 – Communication/Writing Course - You’ll need to be in second year to take one of the ENGL 210 courses. If you find them more appealing, then plan to take one in your second or third year.
- ANTH 100 – Introduction to Anthropology (fall and winter)
- ANTH 202 – Social and Cultural Anthropology (fall and winter)
- ECON 101 – Introduction to Microeconomics (fall and winter)
- ECON 102 - Introduction to Macroeconomics (fall and winter)
- PSCI 100 - Introduction to Government (fall)
- PSCI 150 - Introduction to Global Politics (winter)
- HIST 103 – Canadian History through Biography (fall)
- HIST 109 - Ten Days that Shook the World (winter)
- MEDVL 105 – Introduction to Medieval Studies (fall)
- PACS 101 - Peace is Everybody's Business (fall and winter)
- PACS 201 – Roots of Conflict, Violence, and Peace (fall and winter)
- PACS 202 - Conflict Resolution (fall and winter)