The School of Public Health and Health Systems is a division of the Faculty of Applied Health Sciences
B.A. (S.U.N.Y. at Binghamton)
M.A. (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor)
M.P.H. (The George Washington University)
Ph.D. (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor)
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (Harvard Medical School; New England Deaconess Hospital)
Cancer Prevention Fellow (National Cancer Institute, U.S.A.)
Certificate in Conflict Management and Mediation (Conrad Grebel University College)
Office: BMH 2321
Phone: (519) 888-4567, ext. 33098
- Disease Processes; Stress and Behavioural Immunology; Cancer Prevention
- Health Communication; Public Health
HLTH 341 Immunobiology and Public Health
HLTH 461 Psychoneuroimmunology
PHS 608 Health and Risk Communication in Public Health
- In Public Health: health literacy, risk communication, consumer health informatics, mass media and health education
- In Biohealth: physical activity and cancer prevention, exercise immunology, behavioural immunology, lymphocyte apoptosis
In Health and Risk Communication:
- Textbook in Preparation: Hoffman-Goetz L, Donelle L, Ahmed R. Health Literacy in Canada: A Primer for Students. CSPI, Toronto.
- Thomson M.D., Hoffman-Goetz, L. Application of the health literacy framework to diet-related conversations of older immigrant women to Canada. Health Promotion International 2012; 27(1): 33-44.
- McWhirter J., Todd, L., Hoffman-Goetz, L. Comparing written and oral measures of comprehension of cancer information by English-as-a-second-language Chinese immigrant women to Canada. Journal of Cancer Education 2011; 26(4): 734-739.
- Thomson M.D., Hoffman-Goetz L. Cancer information comprehension by English-as-a-second-language immigrant women. Journal of Health Communication 2011; 16(1): 17-33.
- Abdelmutti N., Hoffman-Goetz L. Risk messages about HPV, cervical cancer, and the HPV vaccine Gardasil: a content analysis of Canadian and U.S. national newspaper articles. Women & Health 2009: 49(5): 422-440.
- Thomson M.D., Hoffman-Goetz L. Defining and measuring acculturation: A systematic review of public health studies with Hispanic populations in the United States. Social Science & Medicine 2009; 69(7): 218-224.
- Hoffman-Goetz L., Thomson M., Donelle L. Reasons for declining colorectal cancer screening by older Canadians: a pilot study. Journal of Cancer Education 2008; 23(1): 32-36.
- Thomson M., Hoffman-Goetz L. Readability and cultural sensitivity of web-based patient decision aids for cancer screening and treatment: a systematic review. Medical Informatics and the Internet in Medicine 2007; 32(4): 263-286.
- Packer N., Hoffman-Goetz L. Training preserves the intestinal cytokine response to acute exercise in older mice. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 2012; 44(4): 591-599.
- Pervaiz N., Hoffman-Goetz L. Freewheel training alters mouse hippocampal cytokines. International Journal of Sports Medicine 2011; 32(11): 889-895.
- Hoffman-Goetz L., Pervaiz N., Packer N., Guan G. Freewheel training decreases pro- and increases anti-inflammatory cytokine expression in mouse intestinal lymphocytes. Brain, Behavior & Immunity 2010; 24(7): 1105-1115.
- Hoffman-Goetz L., Pervaiz N., Guan J. Voluntary exercise training in mice increases the expression of antioxidant enzymes and decreases the expression of TNF-alpha in intestinal lymphocytes. Brain, Behavior & Immunity 2009; 23(4): 498-506.
- Spagnuolo P.A., Hoffman-Goetz L. Lactoferrin effect on lymphocyte cytokines and apoptosis is independent of exercise. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, 2008; 40(6): 1013-1021.
- Hoffman-Goetz L., Spagnuolo P.A., Guan J. Repeated exercise in mice alters expression of IL-10 and TNF-alpha in intestinal lymphocytes. Brain, Behavior, and Immunity, 2008; 22(2): 195-199.
- Pederson B.K., Hoffman-Goetz L. Exercise and the immune system: Regulation, integration, and adaptation. Physiological Reviews, 2000; 8: 1055-1081.
Selected professional activities and networks
- International Society for Exercise and Immunology
- American College of Sports Medicine
- American Association for Cancer Education
Visit my research page on Consumer Health Informatics at: