Records of co-operative and experiential learning programs, including internships and practicums.
This records class includes Personal Information Banks.
Related Records | Responsible Unit | Information Steward | Information Confidentiality Classification | Retention | Disposition | Authority | Retention Rationale | Personal Information Banks | Version Information
Content & Scope
Records of the management and administration of co-operative work/study programs and other experiential learning programs, such as internships and practicums.
This records class excludes: agreements with employers or other partnering organizations; evaluations of individual students’ performance in the program included in their academic record; co-op student advising; and records of career education and professional development programs.
The records include: copies of student personal and academic information; resumes, job applications and work term information; information about employers and partnering organizations, and the history of their relationship with the University; information regarding interviews and matching students with employment and experiential learning opportunities; and related correspondence with students, employers or other partnering organizations. For co-op students and co-operative work programs, much of this information is maintained in the enterprise co-op employment administration system (currently, WaterlooWorks).
- For agreements between the University and employers or partnering organizations, see AD80 – Contracts & Agreements.
- For records of co-op student advising and the academic standing of individual students, see ST20 – Student Records.
- For students’ written reports on their co-op work terms or experiential learning placements, see TL40 – Student Work, Examinations & Theses.
- For career education and counselling records, see TL80 – Career Education & Development.
- Co-operative and Experiential Education.
- Other units responsible for internships, practicums, and experiential learning opportunities.
Associate Provost, Co-operative and Experiential Education.
- Public: information on co-operative and experiential learning programs and opportunities intended for public release.
- Restricted: student information, including personal and academic information, resumes, job applications, job interview and work term information.
- Confidential: all other records.
- Student information: minimum of 2 years and no more than 7 years after the end of the student’s final work term.
- Employer information: 7 years after the end of the employer’s relationship with the University.
- All other records: until superseded or obsolete.
Note: anonymized data derived from these records may be retained by the University until superseded or obsolete.
Responsible Units should document the disposal/destruction of official records using the University records destruction form or equivalent documentation, to verify that we are following our records retention rules.
- University of Waterloo Act, 1972.
- Co-operative Education and Work-Integrated Learning Canada, Standards and Rationale.
Retention is based on operational use.
Information on students includes: biographical, contact, and academic information, resume, co-op work history and current work term information, salary, student evaluation of work term, application and interview information, and self-reported employment skills.
29 January 2020
26 July 2010
(This records retention schedule replaces TL72 – Internships and Practica)