Availability: 2017 and 2018 academic years, one award (tuition, housing)
This scholarship has been created as an opportunity to link students currently enrolled full-time or part-time in the Social Development Studies program at Renison University College with the Elmira Developmental Support Corporation as “supportive good neighbors” to 4 people living in a newly created supported independent living apartment. In conjunction with a broader support team, the student’s role will include building community through social interaction and being part of the support team and assisting in crisis situations. This scholarship recipient will work with, and share an apartment with, the scholarship recipient of the Geoffery and Eleanor Downie Scholarship, awarded in the previous year.
The scholarship will be advertised at Renison University College. Applicants will apply through the Scholarship and Award Committee at Renison. The committee will review all applications and refer suitable candidates meeting the criteria below to the Elmira Developmental Support Corporation, who will then select the recipient of the award.
The successful recipient will receive annual tuition (paid by term) and housing for the length of their residency (minimum of 12 months), contingent on maintaining their academic standing and the satisfactory performance of their duties specified in a letter of agreement between the student and the Corporation. The agreement is non-binding and the student will be released without penalty from the agreement should mitigating circumstances arise. Early termination and/or non-renewal of the agreement will result in the termination of the scholarship and the student will be responsible for all costs associated with their education.
A candidate who is not enrolled full-time during the summer months will be offered employment so that they can continue their residency year round. A candidate enrolled in full-time studies during the summer months will continue to receive the standard supports associated with the scholarship.
Please note: this application has been closed for the 2017/2018 term.
The criteria are as follows:
- Open to students enrolled in SDS who are in their 1st or 2nd year of studies and have achieved an average of 75% or higher.
- Students must be registered through Renison University College, enrolled in SDS program and taking a minimum of two courses.
- The student must live in the apartment building in Elmira throughout the contract term (a minimum of 12 months with the award extending to the completion of their academic program)with appropriate time off, as determined by the contract with the Elmira Developmental Support Corporation) and shares the apartment with the student who has been awarded the Geoffery and Eleanor Downie Scholarship, who will be in their second year of residency.
- A current resume and two letters of reference (one employee and one academic) must accompany the application.
- First consideration will be given to applicants who have experience working with people with disabilities
- Transportation is required.
- Online Renison Scholarships and Awards application form;
- A current resume and two letters of reference (one employee and one academic);
- A 500-750 word essay on the meaning of friendship and/or companionship and their role in building strong and inclusive communities.
Upon successful completion of the application and interview process, candidates will be contracted by the Elmira Developmental Support Corporation and subject to the terms and conditions of their letter of agreement.
Please complete all the blanks below marked *(required). Incomplete applications will not be accepted by the system. You will need to login to see the form below (you will find the login button at the top of this page).
Please forward any questions you may have to firstname.lastname@example.org.