Exploring Science July 9 - 27, 2018
The University of Waterloo's Faculty of Science and Renison University College present Exploring Science: a three-week program combining English instruction and exploration of science.
What is Exploring Science?
Exploring Science is a 3-week program that provides language practice to improve participants' English language proficiency while learning about physics, biology, chemistry, mathematics and Canadian culture.
What does the program include?
The program includes a variety of science lectures, presentations and tours, an introduction to University of Waterloo professors, staff and graduate students, excursions to local and regional attractions and more.
Students have the opportunity to audit science courses during the program. Examples of courses that may be offered are:
- Physics II
- Classical Mechanics
- Advanced Calculus II
- Astronomical Observation
- Computational Physics II
- Electricity and Magnetism
Students will attend a mini-course offered by award-winning Physics professor, Dr. Richard Epp, “The Physics of Life”.
Students also have approximately 10 hours each week of interesting and engaging English classes at Renison, speaking and listening plus presentation skills.
Recreation and Excursions
The program includes a variety of social, recreational and touristic activities on evenings and weekends. Each activity presents an opportunity to explore Canadian culture and traditions as well as to practise English.
Activities will include
- a day-trip to Niagara Falls
- a day-trip to Toronto
- local excursions, for example shopping, Waterloo Region Museum, St. Jacobs Farmers Market, etc.
- sports and games
Where will I live?
Accommodation will be provided in residence on the University of Waterloo campus. The residence will provide
- double accommodation (two students sharing a room)
- all meals: 3 meals/day Monday to Friday; 2 meals/day (brunch and supper) Saturdays and Sundays
- laundry facilities
- wireless Internet
- access to library and computing facilities
- Watcard identification for use on campus
For more information on residence, please visit Renison's Residence and Housing page.
When is Exploring Science?
Exploring Science will take place from Monday, July 9, 2018 to Friday, July 27, 2018. Students should arrive on Sunday July 8, 2018 and leave Saturday July 28.
Here is an Exploring Science sample schedule (PDF):
Note: All classes will be held on the University of Waterloo campus. Some workshops, tours, and several evening and weekend excursions will be held off campus. The schedule and planned activities are subject to change.
How much does the program cost?
The program fee is CAD$3,570 (USD $2,759, RMB 17,456) per participant.
The program fee includes the following:
- Tuition (25 hours/week of instruction and custom programming)
- Course materials
- University residence (double accommodation) and all meals
- Welcome reception
- Renison | Waterloo Certificate of Completion
- All scheduled social, recreational and excursion activities
- Comprehensive medical insurance
- Return transportation between Toronto Airport and the University of Waterloo
If you have any questions regarding Exploring Science, please email Jane: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Register for Exploring Science
Space is Limited! Registration Deadline: May 18, 2018
Register and pay as: