Renison was founded on January 14, 1959 under the authority of the Synod of the Diocese of Huron, due to the efforts of the Kitchener and Waterloo Anglican communities. Renison continues to enjoy support from the Anglican community and, in particular, from within the Diocese.
It was named in memory of Robert Jon Renison (1875-1957), a former Metropolitan of Ontario and Archbishop of Moosonee, which is why today our mascot is "Reni Moose."
On July 1, 1960, Renison struck an affiliation agreement with the University of Waterloo for the right to offer programs in Arts and the Social Sciences for credit towards a Bachelor of Arts degree from uWaterloo. The University transferred five acres of land on the west side of its campus to Renison in 1961, and Renison purchased an additional acre. That same year, Renison built its first building, the Founders Building, which provided offices, classrooms, and two residence wings to house 40 men and 40 women. In 1964, it expanded with the construction of the Luxton Building, with classrooms, faculty offices, and a residence for 98 men.
Then, in 1992, it expanded further with the addition of St. Bede's Chapel, the Great Hall cafeteria, two additional residence floors, and an enlarged library.
Renison just expanded again in 2013 with the completion of the East Wing, which is home to new classroom space, student lounges, and faculty offices (not shown in above picture).