The Research Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion Council was created at the University of Waterloo in 2018 to:
• Develop strategies to help support successful research outcomes by members of the four designated groups (FDG) and more generally for young investigators and researchers new to Waterloo;
• Develop and support networking groups, initially focusing on the FDG in science, technology, engineering and mathematics, but ultimately expanding to other disciplines;
• Develop leadership training events for senior and junior researchers;
• Oversee key activities related to the implementation and tracking of Waterloo’s equity action plan;
• Work with graduate studies and postdoctoral fellows to encourage recruitment and mentorship of graduate students identifying as one or more of the FDG in science, engineering and technology.