Applications for Committee review are to first be submitted to the Office of Research Ethics (ORE) using the online application. One paper copy, including attachments, is to be also be submitted. Recommended changes are communicated to the research team.
Researchers are to provide an electronic version of the application and attachments merged into one Word document. Name the file based on the Principal Investigator’s or Faculty Supervisor’s last name followed by the ORE number. For example, “Smith 94567”.
The Word document of the complete application includes the following relevant materials in the sequence given below. Each attachment or appendix to the application should be identified with a header at the top of the document.
- ORE Form 101
- Appendices A and/or B, if applicable
- flowchart (if applicable)
- recruitment materials
- information letter(s) and consent form(s)
- questionnaires/interview questions, task descriptions, SOPs
- feedback letter(s)
- protocol or proposal (if applicable)
- investigator’s brochure (if applicable)
- other attachments as required
Send file to email@example.com 10 days before the meeting date.
To create the Word document
- Work with Word documents for all attachments (e.g., flowcharts, recruitment materials, information-consent letters, instruments, feedback letters, protocol, investigator’s brochure) to the 101 application; that is, avoid having pdf files.
- Open/create a new Word document and save it with the file name as defined above.
- Log in to the ORE database and select “Review” for your ORE 101 application for Committee review; in Review form click on “Printable Version” (top right of page).
- Copy the whole ORE 101 application (the Printable Version). Do not include "Copyright © 2001 University of Waterloo" at the bottom of the last page. Go to the opened Word document and paste the ORE 101 application in to the Word document. (At this point, you should be able to logout of the online ORE 101 form.)
- Go to the end of the ORE 101 application in Word.
- Add a new page by keying Ctrl and Enter at the same time.
- Move the cursor to the top of the new page, click on the “insert” tab and go to “Object” (will be on the right of the menu bar) and select the “Down Arrow” beside “Object”. Select “Text from File” from the drop down menu.
- Navigate and select the file you want to insert.
- Click “Insert” or double-click the filename to add the contents of the document to your file.
- Repeat steps 6 to 9 for each attachment/file to be added to the application Word document.
To insert a PDF document in the Word document
- Click on the “insert” tab and go to “Object” and select the “Down Arrow”.
- Select the “Object Type list” and then click “Adobe Acrobat Document”.
- Click “OK” to insert the PDF. The PDF is inserted as an embedded image.