The Office of Research is partnering with the Survey Research Centre (SRC) on a one-year pilot program to strengthen the quality and success of research grant applications that involve surveys.
The SRC can provide Waterloo researchers with the following help in preparing grant applications at no cost to the researcher:
- Power/sample size calculations (i.e., determining how many of the target population to survey for the data to be valid and reliable)*
- Statistical advice on sampling designs, sampling weights and appropriate statistical methodology for analyzing survey data*
- Advice on which survey mode (i.e., online, phone, mail or mixed mode) is best suited to ensure high-quality data collection
- Survey question development and structure to reduce bias and help maximize response rates
- Detailed cost estimates and timelines for survey development, data collection and top-line data analysis - often essential information for developing research budgets
- One-page short report on power/sample size and statistical methodology for inclusion in the grant application*
The program has limited space and researchers will be considered for the program on a first-come, first-served basis, with priority given to early career/first-time research grant applicants.
If you have questions or would like to be considered for the program, please contact Tony Ly.
* prepared by the SRC Senior Methodologist, faculty member in the Department of Statistics and Actuarial Science