Minor injuries

Departments and supervisors must provide injured workers immediate transportation to the locations below, if necessary.

  • Health Services
  • Hospital
  • Doctor's office
  • Walk-in clinic
  • Worker's home

A University of Waterloo vehicle should be used, where possible (UW Police may assist with arranging transportation). Where a university vehicle is not available, a taxi cab or private vehicle may be used. Another person (preferably with first aid certification) should always accompany the injured person in addition to the driver.

Major injuries - CALL 911

Call 911 for a significant injury or medical condition and follow the posted emergency instructions for your workplace.

Examples include:

  • Heart attack
  • Stroke
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Unconsciousness
  • Significant loss of blood
  • Broken arm or leg
  • Burns to major portion of body
  • Eye injuries
  • Shock

When an employee is transported to a hospital by ambulance for a workplace injury, it is the University's obligation to pay for the ambulance. If an employee receives an ambulance invoice in this case forward it to the Safety Office for payment.