The University of Waterloo has adopted erPortal's hazardous materials management system to create laboratory inventories for individual labs and laboratory groups. The purpose of this initiative is to comply with the Canadian Occupational Health and Safety Act and to reduce the overall risk associated with using, handling, and storing chemical products or agents.
To be clear, any laboratory without a current and up to date laboratory inventory is in contravention of the Occupational Health and Safety Act.
In order to begin using erPortal, you will need two user IDs and associated passwords.
Please email Dhananjai Borwankar and indicate your name and lab location(s). You will receive a response providing you with the following:
- One userid and password specific for the faculty member
- One userid and password to be shared amongst your research group
With these login credentials you will be able to begin using the system. Please see the manuals attached below for more specific guidance.
Resources, templates, and instruction manuals
The following templates and manuals will help you navigate and use the erPortal inventory system. Please open the appropriate links below to continue:
- erPortal User Manual for UW Users
- Inventory Template for Importing a Laboratory Inventory - use this MS Excel based template to create and upload your initial inventory. Once you have completed the template, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org to get it uploaded into the system.
- UW erPortal access link
Laboratory Supervisors, Directors, or Managers
Use the Excel Inventory Template identified below to upload your initial laboratory inventory
Populating the lab inventory with any item ordered and received that has not been ordered through Chem Stores
Removing items from the inventory as they are consumed
- Maintain this page
- Provide administrative support of the erPortal system
- Create manuals and templates for facilitation of the use of the inventory system
Enter items directly into a laboratory's inventory that have been ordered for a particular lab
- Enter items directly into a laboratory's inventory that have been ordered by Purchase Order (PO)
- Future plans are to be able to enter items purchased by systems contracts
The Safety Office purchased Chemwatch GOLD FFX to help manage SDSs and chemical labeling on campus. Chemwatch users have the ability to:
- Directly access a database of over 25 million vendor SDSs (and counting).
- Generate chemical labels from data already in the software.
- Design an SDS for in-house, chemical mixtures.
- Use the built-in risk assessment tool for your chemical risk assessments.
Follow this link to access Chemwatch GOLD FFX.