Ontario’s Ministry of Labour (MOL) inspectors have begun to fan out across the province, visiting workplaces to check records, observe, and ask questions about your chemical handling practices. This province-wide chemical handling blitz will be taking place from September 19th to October 31st.
What are some things inspectors will be looking for?
- Compliance with MOL regulations like WHMIS 2015, including education and training
- Proper controls and use of PPE
- Safe storage, handling practices, and procedures for chemicals
- Emergency procedures in the event of spills, body splash, or contact with skin or eyes
Are you ready?
- Do you have an inventory?
- Are your chemical's stored by chemical class?
- Are the people in your lab aware of the hazards of the chemicals they use?
- Are the people in your lab aware of what controls must be used when using specific chemicals (ppe, ventilation, enclosures)?
- Are the people in your lab trained appropriately?
- Does everyone know what to do in case of an emergency?
- Is waste disposed of appropriately?