The Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) is changing to adopt new international standards for classifying hazardous materials and providing information on labels and safety data sheets (SDS). This transition will affect all employees at the University of Waterloo and especially those working with chemicals and in labs.
The University must meet the following criteria by December 1, 2018, to comply with the new WHMIS standards:
- All WHMIS training must be current to the new WHMIS 2015 standard.
- All chemicals require WHMIS 2015 safety data sheets and supplier labels. Any chemicals you wish to keep that do not have WHMIS 2015 labelling/signage will require updated labelling by the December 1, 2018 deadline.
Failure to comply may result in penalties from the Ministry of Labour including work stoppages and fines.
This page is here to help Waterloo supervisors navigate through this transition. Please contact the Safety Office if you have any questions.
- Ensure all employees in your area have completed the WHMIS 2015 online training module.
- Complete a chemical inventory either in erPortal or on an Excel spreadsheet by April 30, 2018. If you use Excel, the Safety Office will load this information into erPortal. The erPortal user manual and an Excel template are available below.
- Dispose of all chemicals no longer needed or that have expired. Review the Hazardous Waste Standard for proper procedures.
- Contact suppliers to obtain WHMIS 2015 safety data sheets if a new product is received with WHMIS 2015 labels.
When purchasing new chemicals, purchase from suppliers already using WHMIS 2015 safety data sheets, if possible.
The Safety Office will post more information on the remaining steps soon.
The following templates and manuals will help you navigate and use the erPortal inventory system.
- erPortal User Manual for UW Users
- Inventory Template for Importing a Laboratory Inventory - use this MS Excel based template to create and upload your initial inventory. Once you have completed the template, send it to firstname.lastname@example.org to have it uploaded into the system.
- UW erPortal access link