The Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) is changing to adopt new international standards for classifying hazardous materials and providing information on labels and safety data sheets (SDS). This transition will affect all employees at the University of Waterloo and especially those working with chemicals and in labs.
The University must meet the following criteria by December 1, 2018, to comply with the new WHMIS standards:
- All WHMIS training must be current to the new WHMIS 2015 standard.
- All chemicals require WHMIS 2015 safety data sheets and supplier labels. Any chemicals you wish to keep that do not have WHMIS 2015 labelling/signage will require updated labelling by the December 1, 2018 deadline.
Failure to comply may result in penalties from the Ministry of Labour including work stoppages and fines.
This page is here to help Waterloo supervisors navigate through this transition. Please contact the Safety Office if you have any questions.
- The Safety Office is in the process of developing a chemical labelling system that meets WHMIS 2015 requirements. This will allow us to update the labels on chemicals already on campus. Further updates will be provided as we work through the process to meet compliance specifications.
- Health and safety coordinators can now request a list of labs in their department that have moved their chemical inventory to erPortal. Contact Dhananjai Borwankar for your list.
At this time, please ensure that:
- All employees have completed the WHMIS 2015 online training module.
- Chemical inventories have been completed in either erPortal or on an Excel spreadsheet.
The following templates and manuals will help you navigate and use the erPortal inventory system.
- erPortal User Manual for UW Users
- Inventory Template for Importing a Laboratory Inventory - use this MS Excel based template to create and upload your initial inventory. Once you have completed the template, send it to email@example.com to have it uploaded into the system.
- UW erPortal access link