Supervisors are generally responsible for implementing work area specific procedures. There are however some procedures related to WHMIS that are University wide.

Specifically what to do with your waste controlled products and what to do in the event of a spill of a controlled product that is beyond your ability to handle safely.

Waste disposal

Under the WHMIS regulations hazardous waste is exempted from the requirements having a supplier or workplace label and an MSDS. It is not exempted from the training requirements. Your supervisor or lab instructor will inform you how to properly dispose of waste controlled products.

It is extremely important that disposal instructions are followed.

UWaterloo also has special labels that must be placed on every container of hazardous waste.

All hazardous waste generated at UWaterloo is disposed of through the Environmental Safety Facility (ESF).

If you have questions regarding hazardous waste disposal or would like to obtain the special hazardous waste label please contact Greg Friday at ext. 35755.

Further information regarding waste disposal can be found at the following sites.

Laboratory waste

All laboratory waste must be segregated and placed in labelled containers specific for the type of waste:

Chemical waste Hazardous waste segregation
Bio-hazardous waste Bio safety waste disposal
Radioactive waste Disposal of radioisotopes
Broken glass Broken glass
Sharps Hazardous waste segregation
General waste Normal office waste container

All hazardous waste must be disposed through the Environmental Safety Facility (ESF).

Hazardous materials spills

Follow these procedures for biological, chemical and radioactive materials.

Prior to work with hazardous materials:

  1. Determine spill procedures from MSDS for all chemicals
  2. All UWaterloo employees and students handling hazardous materials are required to be trained in spill procedures
  3. Obtain proper spill kits and clean up equipment. Available from Chemistry Stores ESC 109

Small spill that poses no immediate threat to health:

  1. Notify occupants in the immediate area of the spill
  2. Use spill kits to absorb and contain according to spill procedure
  3. Place material in a secure and ventilated area
  4. Contact Safety Office at ext. 35755 for disposal instructions

Large spills or spills that pose an immediate threat to health:

  1. Remove sources of ignition if possible
  2. Evacuate immediate area
  3. Call UWaterloo Police ext. 519-888-4911 or ext. 22222

Contact UWaterloo Safety Office ext. 35755 with any questions or for assistance.

Waste disposal

All chemical, biological and radioactive wastes are to be disposed of at the Environmental Safety Facility located on the first floor of Earth Sciences and Chemistry (ESC) room 150. Material may be delivered to the facility Monday to Friday from 11:00 A.M. to 12:00 noon or a pickup may be arranged by calling ext. 35755.

University policy requires compliance with environmental regulations.

Do not put any hazardous materials in the regular garbage or into the drains.

Areas in which hazardous materials are present must display University of Waterloo's hazardous materials spill (PDF) poster.