Dr. Gong is a Professor in the Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering, a University Research Chair, and an IEEE Fellow. Dr. Gong focuses on the research on pseudoandom generation, cryptography and lightweight cryptography, network and system security. Her research focuses on multiple areas such as design and implementation of lightweight cryptographic systems, cryptography and cryptanalysis; security and privacy of Internet-of-Things (IoT), privacy of blockchain and blockchain based IoT security, privacy preserving machine learning, security in cloud, network, ad-hoc network and RFID systems; wireless security, multimedia security, and physical layer security. Her research also lies in and signal design for wireless Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA), Orthogonal frequency-division Multiplexing (OFDM) and Multiple-Input Multiple-Output (MIMO) communications. In 2005, Dr. Gong, together with former Ph. D student Yassir Nawaz, proposed a new stream cipher, namely, a WG stream cipher family, which offers unique randomness properties that other ciphers do not have. Recently, together with Professor Mark Aagaard, some lightweight instances (i.e., WG-5, WG-7, WG-8) of this stream cipher family have been implemented in hardware for securing RFID systems and embedded devices. In Feb 2019, her team submitted 4 lightweight cryptographic schemes, i.e., ACE, SPOC, SPIX, and WAGE to the NIST LWC competition
Pseudorandom sequence generation, Implementation of lightweight cryptographic systems, Lightweight cryptography, cryptography and cryptanalysis, Security algorithms and protocols, Security and privacy of IoT, blockchain, and cyber physical systems, Privacy preserving machine learning, Wireless communications/networking, Cross layer and physical layer securit
- 1992, Other, Electrical Engineering, Fondazione Ugo Bordani
- 1990, Doctorate, Electrical Engineering, University of Electronic Science and Technology of China
- 1985, Master's, Applied Mathematics, Northwest Telecommunication Eng. Inst.
- 1981, Bachelor's, Mathematics, Xiachang Normal Col
- Book: Signal Design with Good Correlation -- for Wireless Communication, Cryptography and Radar, Cambridge University Press, 2005
- Book: Communication System Security, CRC Press, 2012