University of Waterloo
Environment 3 Building
200 University Avenue West
Waterloo, Ontario N2L 3G1, Canada
Tel. (519) 888-4567
Current Undergraduate Student: Linh Pham (BA student)
There are two related topics within this research project:
- Institutionalisation of campus environmental management in Canada
- Advancement of campus environmental management in Asian universities
For the first focus of this project, our research has considered campus environmental management systems, sustainability reporting by higher education institutions, and campus climate initiatives. Current efforts are considering how to best institutionalise campus sustainability on all Canadian campuses.
For the second focus, the purpose of the study is to determine the level of campus sustainability practices in different parts of the world.
Previous studies have been published (see related research outputs below). The most recent study was conducted by a group of students from the University of Waterloo. It was aimed at establishing if specific approaches to institutionalising campus sustainability in Canada are feasible and how the Sierra Youth Coalition (SYC) might strategically direct their efforts given the current landscape of stakeholder interests and roles. For this study, a survey of Canadian student unions and interviews with campus sustainability stakeholders were conducted.
A literature review has been completed on campus environmental management around the world and will soon be prepared into a journal submission. In addition, a study specifically focused on campus environmental management in Bangladesh has been completed.
Related Research Outputs:
- Clarke, A. (forthcoming). Building an Online Master’s Program for Deep Learning in Sustainability. Azeiteiro, U. M., Leal Filho, W. & Caeiro, S. (Eds.) E-learning and Sustainability. Environmental Education, Communication and Sustainability Series. Frankfurt: Peter Lang Scientific Publishers.
- Adams, A., Skuza, J., Janmohamed, Z., Tsou, M., Moore, N. & Xu, A. (2013). Institutionalizing Sustainability On Campuses by Propel Research & Strategy. SEED, University of Waterloo, Canada. (Academic Poster)
- Moudrak, N. & Clarke, A. (2012). Developing a Sustainability Report for a Higher Education Institution. Leal Filho, W. (Ed.) Sustainable Development at Universities: New Horizons. Frankfurt: Peter Lang Scientific Publishers. (View pre-publication version)
- Moudrak, N. (2011). University of Waterloo Sustainable Development Report 2010. Waterloo: University of Waterloo.
- Glor-Bell, J. & Clarke, A. (2011). Community Engagement in University of British Columbia’s Climate Action Plan (pp. 39-60). Leal Filho (Ed.) World Trends on Education for Sustainable Development. Frankfurt: Peter Lang Scientific Publishers.
- Clarke, A. & Kouri, R. (2009). Choosing an appropriate university or college environmental management system. Journal of Cleaner Production, 17(11): 971-984. (View pre-publication version)
- Helferty, A., & Clarke, A. (2009) Student-Led Approaches to Reducing Greenhouse Gas Emissions at Canadian Colleges and Universities. International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education.10(3): 287-300. (View pre-publication version)
- Helferty, A., Clarke, A. & Kouri, R. (2009) The Campus Climate Challenge: Innovative Multi-stakeholder Approaches to Reducing Emissions at Canadian Colleges and Universities (pp. 365-388). Leal Filho, W. & Mannke, F. (Eds.) Interdisciplinary Aspects of Climate Change. Frankfurt: Peter Lang Scientific Publishers. (View pre-publication version)
- Clarke, A. (2006). The Campus Environmental Management System Cycle in Practice: 15 years of environmental, management, education and research at Dalhousie University. International Journal of Sustainability in Higher Education. 7(4): 374-389. (View pre-publication version)
Enjoy this student video related to sustainable campus initiatives at University of Waterloo main campus.