Register for the 2018 Financial Literacy Competition (FLC)
Make-up: 75 multiple choice/short answer questions
Delivery: In class, online between 8:00 am - 12:00 pm
Teachers who register will have access to new practice quizzes in the FLC platform.
In response to the 2010 Ministry of Education Working Group on Financial Literacy report that identified the importance of financial literacy education in supporting the success of all students, the School of Accounting and Finance (SAF) has established the Financial Literacy Competition to assist in educating and promoting financial responsibility.
The FLC has been developed in collaboration with Business Studies teachers within the Waterloo Region and Waterloo Catholic District school boards.
Currently, the FLC is offered to Grade 9 and 10 business students in public and Catholic schools across Canada.
This is an exciting opportunity for secondary school teachers to engage their students to test and challenge their knowledge in personal finance and wealth management, as well as generating interest in furthering their studies in the areas of accounting, finance, and business. The FLC:
- provides an incentive for secondary school students to learn more about personal and business finance
- assists secondary schools in delivering and integrating financial literacy education into the Ontario curriculum
- fosters the interest of secondary school students in the disciplines of finance, accounting, and business
- creates a talented pool of secondary school students who will be confident in their financial security and well-being in dealing with an increasingly complex world of finance
Who can compete in the FLC?
- Open to all Grade 9 and 10 secondary school students enrolled in or having already completed a Business Studies course.
- 75 multiple choice questions
- 70 minutes
- Competition to be conducted online during class between 8:00 am and 12:00 pm
- 75 total marks
- Only non-programmable calculators provided will be permitted
Content of contest
Most of the questions are based on the Business Studies curriculum for Grades 9 and 10.
Questions will be based on the following topics:
- Income Management
- Economic Basics
Preparing for the FLC
New practice quizzes will be available to teachers who register for the 2018 FLC. These will be emailed to you once they are available.
- Names of the top 3 winning students overall and their teachers will be posted onto the uWaterloo’s FLC site.
- Media release will be sent to to the top 3 winning students to allow each school, including the School of Accounting and Finance, the opportunity to draft stories and/or news articles for their own school newspapers and websites.
2017 Financial Literacy Competition Winners
Congratulations to the 2017 FLC student winners!
- Kelly Wang, Sir John A. MacDonald (87%) – recipient of $2,500 tuition certificate for the School of Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Financial Management (AFM) program at the University of Waterloo
Teacher: K. LoCicero
- Luka Mrkovic – Newmarket High School (83%) - recipient of $1,500 tuition certificate for the School of Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Financial Management (AFM) program at the University of Waterloo
Teacher: Joan Richardson
Michelle Cao – Bayview Secondary School (81%) and Tom Jiale Tian – Vaughan Secondary School (81%) recipients of $1,000 tuition certificate for the School of Accounting and Finance, Accounting and Financial Management (AFM) program at the University of Waterloo.
Our top 4 winners and their teachers will be joining the FLC Committee at the School of Accounting and Finance for a day of celebration!
Top performing schools in the FLC
Top performing schools were determined by calculating total score for all competition competitors within the school by 10, even if the school chose not to register 10 competitors.
- St. Augustine CHS, Markham
Teacher: Patricia Brizzi
- Sacred Heart CHs, Newmarket
Teacher: Stephen Zeagman
- Humberview Secondary School, Bolton
Teacher: Adriana Snell