Please note that regular attendees cannot create breakout rooms. This privilege is limited to the host and the co-hosts.
While inside of a Zoom meeting:
- Click "Breakout Rooms".
- Select the number of rooms you would like to create and how you would like to assign your attendees to those rooms:
- Automatically: Let Zoom split your participants up evenly into each of the rooms.
- Manually: Choose which participants you would like in each room.
- Let participants choose room: Participants can select and enter rooms on their own.
- Click Create Breakout Rooms.
- Your rooms will be created, but will not start automatically.
- Click "Options" if using Windows, or the gear icon if using Mac. This pulls up the breakout room options.
- Enable any desired options, such as automatically closing breakout rooms after a pre-determined time or allowing attendees to return to the main meeting room at any time that they desire.
- If the manual option for room assignment was chosen: Click "Assign" next to the breakout room that you wish to assign attendees to and then select the attendees that you want sent to that room.
- Click "Open All Rooms" to begin the breakout room session.
In order to assign attendees to breakout rooms before the meeting begins, one must enable it in the settings.
- Sign in to the University's Zoom portal.
- Click "Settings" on the left side of the screen.
- Click "In Meeting (Advanced)" and scroll down to "Breakout room".
- Check the checkbox beside "Allow host to assign participants to breakout rooms when scheduling".
- Click "Save".
Now that setting up breakout rooms before a meeting is enabled, the following is how to assign an attendee before the meeting starts:
- Click "Meetings" and then click "Schedule a meeting".
- Fill out the meeting information, attendees, and settings as one usually would.
- Click "Show" at the bottom beside "Options" and then check the checkbox beside "Breakout Room pre-assign".
- Click "Create rooms". The little plus sign beside "Rooms" on the next page allows one to add another room every time it is clicked.
- In the "Add participants" bar, enter the email address of the attendee and click it to add them to the room.
- When finished, click "Save" to go back to the "Schedule a meeting" creation page.
Issues or Concerns?
- Please contact the Science Computing Helpdesk.