Information for

Science International Exchange

Internationalizing your degree

The Faculty of Science strongly supports UWaterloo's goal of becoming one of Canada's most internationalized universities. Science students are encouraged to Go Abroad in a number of different ways: academic exchanges, internships, co-op jobs, summer programs, volunteer opportunities, and more. Through Waterloo Passport, you'll be able to explore the programs and destinations available to Waterloo Science students.

Why go abroad?

Still in doubt about whether you should go abroad? Here are a few reasons to consider an international experience:

  • It's an amazing opportunity to be exposed to different cultures.
  • You will meet people from other countries, participate in clubs and activities, and improve your interpersonal skills and your confidence to interact with a variety of different people.
  • You'll be able to improve your language skills.
  • An international experience can also serve as a starting point for travel to different parts of the world.
  • You can study abroad for one or two terms and experience a new academic environment, take courses that are not offered at Waterloo, and use them towards your degree.

Going abroad can be a wonderful experience, and it's important to make sure it's the right experience for you. Students who have an amazing time out of Canada usually:

  • Have a keen interest in other countries and cultures
  • Enjoy a change of routine
  • Are able to adapt easily to different situations

How do I apply?

Applying to Go Abroad is centralized through Waterloo Passport.

If you’re planning to participate in an exchange or study abroad program in the 2019/20 academic year, you will be required to attend an information session before you can apply. Check the Student Success Office Go Abroad website for upcoming dates and times. .You must meet some academic requirements in order to go on a for-credit (exchange and study abroad) program:

  • You must be at least in your second year when you apply, to go on your third year (completed four full academic terms at Waterloo)
    • Some summer programs may be more flexible
  • Minimum overall average of 70%
    • Some universities may require an average of 75% or higher
  • Be proficient in the language of instruction, if courses are not taught in English

Any questions can be directed to the Science Exchange Representative, Cathy Wang.

For more information about other international programs, such as internships and service learning (volunteer) programs, please contact one of the Global Learning Coordinators.

Important Resources

Going abroad involves a lot of preparation. Do you have a valid passport? Will you need a visa? How much will it cost to live in a different country? What other expenses will you have?

To answer these and lots of other questions, Waterloo International has some useful information: