The Faculty of Science is pleased to announce 30 special entrance awards to support master’s and doctoral opportunities for domestic students.
The Faculty of Science is a research powerhouse. We value our graduate students and provide them with the tools and resources they need to succeed. We have launched the Dean’s Graduate Student Initiative to encourage the best and the brightest to join our graduate program.
There are 30 special entrance awards for Canadian/Permanent Resident students applying for the Fall 2018 term to a Doctoral or research Master’s program. Direct-entry doctoral students are also eligible.
The special entrance awards through the Dean’s Graduate Student Initiative are in addition to Tri-Agency scholarships and typical department or school funding packages. The number of awards in Science is limited to 30 and the University of Waterloo has a rolling admission cycle but we encourage eligible applicants to apply early.
Under the Dean’s Graduate Student Initiative funding packages could include:
- Special Entrance Award of $10,000 for up to 30 domestic MSc, PhD and direct-entry PhD students who have retained an average of 85.0 per cent or higher in their previous two years of study (paid in two installments in the first year). Successful master’s applicants will receive a minimum of $48,000 over two years and doctoral applicants will receive a minimum of $98,000 over four years.
- Tri-Agency Scholarship (NSERC, SSHRC, CIHR) awardees are topped-up with a $5,000 President’s Graduate Scholarship per year of the award.
- Department and School funding packages are typically made up of Teaching Assistantships, supervisor funding, and in some cases other scholarships.
Science at a glance:
- 3 graduate specializations (Nanotechnology, Quantum Information and Water)
- 575 graduate students
- 5 graduate student clubs and associations
- 2 Canada Excellence Research Chairs
- 13 Canada Research Chairs
- 8 University Research Chairs
- 20 centres and institutes
- 2 professional schools
Explore our various graduate programs to find the right fit for you.