On October 20, 115 pharmacy students, 5 graduate students and 13 PharmD bridging students convocated from the University of Waterloo. The beautiful fall day was full of smiles and laughter as friends and family came together at a reception at the School of Pharmacy to celebrate new graduates.
The class of 2017 is the first cohort of pharmacy students to complete the full Doctor of Pharmacy program: the program has been phased in gradually since 2014. Rx2017 perserved through the challenges of fine-tuning a new program and achieved success every step of the way.
As Hallman Director David Edwards said:
“I have no doubt that this class is going to make important contributions to their patients, to the pharmacy profession, and to the communities in which they will be living over the next several decades.”
In addition to the PharmD graduates, five pharmacy graduate students received their degrees. Sarbjeet Gujral (shown with his supervisor Professor Praveen Nekkar, left), Mira Maximos (Chang lab), Sarah Janssen (Joseph lab) and Haya Fernandes (Patel lab) earned their MSc and Gregor Kemper (Wettig lab) earned his PhD.
Lastly, 13 students earned their second degree from Waterloo Pharmacy through the bridging program. The program enables students who’ve graduated from Waterloo Pharmacy’s previous BScPharm program to also earn a PharmD.
The School also recognized the achievements of outstanding PharmD students and presented the following awards:
- Mortar and Pestle Awards (top academic performance): Joseph Beshay, Rebecca Blimkie, Kristi Butt, Melissa Caputo, Madeleine James, Cassie Jessup, Denise Keller, Jessica Liu, Ashley Morrison, Morgan Phillips, Kara Phinney, Cindy Wang
- Lisa Mclean Award (for success in the professional practice sequence): Celina McLeod
- Pharmachoice Award (for topic-specific documentation): Melissa Caputo (first), Kavetha Selvathilagan (second), Preeya Raja (third)
- Charlie Bayliff Award (for an exemplary student pursuing a hospital residency): Kavetha Selvathilagan
- Fresenius Kabi Canada Student Leadership Award (for a student leader pursuing a hospital pharmacy career): Vivian Bui
- Pfizer Interprofessional Health Care Award (for a student who completed a co-op work term in an inter-professional environment): Tracy He
Congratulations to all fall 2017 graduates! View more photos from the event in the convocation Facebook album.