Election for Board of Director positions
Instructions for Voting
The election offers you a choice of voting electronically (through the Web) or by using a traditional paper ballot.
If you are unable to use the online voting system or would like to request a paper ballot, please contact the UWSA office (phone x38668, email email@example.com or in person at Davis Centre 3609) to get a ballot.
Whether you vote electronically or via paper ballot, you will have the option to complete one ballot for Directors, for which you can select up to a maximum of two (2) candidates.
You can find detailed information on each candidate through reviewing the Candidates Profile (PDF)
Note that if you plan to support a write-in ballot, you must vote with a paper ballot and may not submit an electronic ballot.
- Go to the web address https://info.uwaterloo.ca/evote/UWSA/.
The poll opens on November 28, 2013.
- The voting period is 9:00 AM November 28, 2013 to 5:00 PM December 9, 2013.
- Select up to the maximum number of candidates and press the “Cast Ballot” button at the bottom of the screen. Note: if you decline your ballot, you may not select a candidate/s.
- When prompted, log in with your WatIAM user-name and password (e.g. the same as the myHRinfo system).
Important note: you only have one chance to vote
For the Directors ballot, you can vote for up to two candidates. However, you only have one chance to vote. For example, if you vote for one candidate and press the "Cast Ballot" button, that’s it – you will not be allowed to go back to add a vote for another candidate. So, make your selections carefully.
To vote with a paper ballot
We will be using a double-envelope process to ensure that your vote is secret. It works like this:
- In the ballot package, get the ballot and mark up to the maximum number of candidates.
- Put the marked ballot into the small envelope marked “Ballot” and seal the envelope.
- Put the smaller sealed envelope containing the ballot into the larger return envelope. Print and sign your name on the outside of the larger envelope. Return this envelope to the UWSA office DC 3603, attention Chief Returning Officer.
Ballots must be received by 4:30 PM on December 9, 2013.
You can vote electronically or with a paper ballot, but not both ways. The Election Committee will be confirming that only one ballot is received per person. If both an electronic and paper ballot are received, the paper ballot will be discarded and the electronic vote will be used.
Members have the option of declining their ballots by selecting the appropriate box. Declined ballots are not considered as “votes cast”, but are recorded and reported separately as part of the official ballot results. Declining a ballot is a member’s way of indicating to the Association their dissatisfaction with the election process.
To vote for a candidate not on the ballot, simply add their name to the paper ballot in the spot provided. While write in ballots are permitted, they can be submitted via paper ballot only. Write in candidates count as one of your two votes.
Note that write in candidates MUST be UWSA members and receive at least three votes. If these conditions are not met, votes for the write in candidates will not be counted as official votes cast.
See the constitution:
For detailed voting regulations: Detailed Election Procedures (PDF)