The Stratford Campus Media Services office maintains a variety of equipment that is available to loan to students, faculty, and staff.
The loanable equipment is available in order of priority: in-class workshop assignments, course projects, and research. The equipment should not be treated as personal property or used for non-University related purposes.
All equipment must be scanned and checked out using the barcode equipment tracking system located in the Media Services Office (2026A). A Watcard is required in order to borrow equipment. At the time of check-out and check-in, the condition of the equipment and the presence of all peripherals such as cables, battery and/or charger, card reader, etc. included with the borrowed item or kit will be noted.
If returned equipment is damaged or the condition of the equipment is not suitable for re-use, the borrower assumes full financial liability to either repair or replace the equipment to its original condition (at the Media Services personnel’s discretion). In the event that the equipment is lost, stolen or irretrievable, the borrower assumes full financial responsibility to cover the insurance deductible or replacement of the equipment. In addition, a service indicator will be placed on the student’s Quest account that will limit access to their student records until any issues are resolved with the Media Services Office.
Under no circumstances should equipment in the borrower’s possession be loaned to any other person. All equipment transfers must be handled through the Media Services Office, even when passing equipment on to the next user.
Media Services personnel reserve the right to limit or deny the use of equipment depending on a persons borrowing history.
The equipment is available on a first-come-first-served basis only and cannot be reserved ahead of time. During times of extreme need, Media Services may enforce shorter loan periods, and has the right to recall equipment that has been checked out. The hours for checking out equipment from the Media Services office is as follows:
M 8:30-12, 1-4:30
T 8:30-9 (check-in only), 12–4:30
W 8:30-12 1-4:30
T 8:30-12 1-4:30
F 8:30-9 (check-in only), 12-4:30
First and second year GBDA students may check out equipment when they are at the Stratford Campus on Tuesdays and Fridays. The equipment must then be returned to the Stratford Campus the following week between 8:30-9am. You MUST check in the equipment at that time otherwise the equipment will be considered late. If you cannot make class the following week, it is your responsibility to ensure the equipment gets back to the Stratford Campus to be checked in.
MDEI, third and fourth year GBDA students may check out equipment for three (3) school days at a time.
All equipment must be returned to the Media Services Office at the Stratford Campus by the last class day of the term.
Failure to return the equipment when required will have the following repercussions:
- First time: Each week the item is overdue, loan privileges are lost for the same (For example, if the item is 2 weeks overdue, privileges are lost for 2 weeks from the time the item is returned)
- Second time: Each week the item is overdue, loan privileges are lost for the same number of months. (If the item is 2 weeks overdue, privileges are lost for 2 months from the time the item is returned).
- Third time: Each week the item is overdue, loan privileges are lost for the same number of terms. (If the item is 2 weeks overdue, privileges are lost for 2 terms you are registered for. Terms can be carried over from year to year).
The above is over the course of your academic career within your current program. It is not over the course of one school year.
Media Services staff have the right to consider individual situations and circumstances on a case by case basis.
When checking out equipment for group projects, the group must designate a responsible person for checkout. It is the responsibility of that individual to oversee the use of the equipment and to ensure that it is returned to Media Services in good working condition by the required due date. If more than one person in the group would like to check out equipment, they are welcome to do so, provided there is available equipment.
If the equipment is late, the following protocol will be followed:
- A reminder email sent 1 day after the scheduled return date notifying the borrower that their equipment is overdue.
- If no response, a second email will be sent indicating a withhold on the borrower’s Quest account will occur if equipment is not returned within 3 days.
- If the equipment is not returned, a withhold on Quest will be submitted until equipment is returned or replacement value is given to Media Services personnel.
If you have any questions or comments, please contact the Media Loans staff at email@example.com