I teach classes in digital culture and media analysis at the Stratford School as well as classes in public communication and social justice in the Department of Drama and Speech Communication. I am also faculty advisor for the online publication FirstPersonScholar.com, which publishes articles about games and game cultures aimed at both academic and public audiences.
I have had the privilege of serving in the executive role of the Digital Games Research Association as well as the Game Studies Area of the Popular Culture Association. In addition to co-editing two books (on Role-playing Games and First-person Shooter Games), I have written two encyclopedia articles on shooter games and am one of the leading experts in this area.
I am an American newly transplanted to Canada and enjoying everything about it!
- GBDA 203, Introduction to Digital Culture, Fall 2014
- DEI 615, New Perspectives: Media History and Analysis, Fall 2014
- PhD (Communication Studies), The University of Iowa, 2008
- BS (Communication Studies), University of Texas, 2002
Research and teaching interests
- Cultural Studies
- Digital Games
- Identity and Subjectivity
(with J. Call and K. Whitlock, Eds.) 2012. Dungeons, Dragons and Digital Denizens: Digital Role-playing Games. NYC: Continuum International Publishing.
(with J. Call and K. Whitlock, Eds.) 2012. Guns, Grenades and Grunts: First Person-Shooter Games. NYC: Continuum International Publishing.
2012. "Rhetorical Games and Gamic Rhetorics." Communication +1 1(1). http://scholarworks.umass.edu/cpo/vol1/iss1/
2014. "Play and Possibility in the Rhetoric of the War on Terror: The Structure of Agency in Halo 2." Game Studies: The International Journal of Computer Game Research 9 (2). http://gamestudies.org/1401
Presenations and exhibitions
- "Mssrs. Burke, Bogost and Foucault in Colloquy on the Rhetoric of Games," at Rhetoric as Equipment for Living: Kenneth Burke, Culture and Education, Ghent, Belgium, 2013 (Plenary Panel)
- "The Aesthetics of Subjectivation: Figuring the Self in the Processes of Digital Gameplay" Game Studies interest group of the International Communication Association, Boston MA, 2011 (Top Paper Panel)
- "Structured Agency: At the Rhetorical Crossroads in Halo 2" Rhetoric and Public Address area of the Southern States Communication Association, Little Rock AR, 2011 (Top Paper Panel)
- "The Subject of Criticism: Game Studies, Rhetoric and Rhetorics of Inquiry" Rhetoric and Public Address area of the Southern States Communication Association, Memphis TN, 2010 (Top Paper)
- Editor, Approaches to Game Studies (book series), Bloomsbury International
- Member, International Communication Association
- Member, Canadian Game Studies Association
- Member, Digital Games Research Association
- Member, Executive Board, Digital Games Research Association
- Co-Chair, Game Studies Area, Popular Culture Association