Apply for OSAP
Step 1: Log in to your OSAP account using your Ontario Access Number (OAN) and password
- First time applicants will need to create an account, a personal profile and be assigned an Ontario Access Number (OAN). Keep this in a memorable place as you will need it each time you log in to the OSAP website.
Step 2: Start a new full time OSAP application
- You will be asked to provide information about your program, residency, income and family (if applicable)
Step 3: Submit the application
- At the end of the application, click ‘Submit’ and review the list of required documents
Step 4: Upload required documents (if applicable)
- Student Awards & Financial Aid (SAFA) at Waterloo will review all documents. Depending on the time of year, this will take approximately 2-4 weeks.
Step 5: Confirmation of enrolment
- SAFA will confirm your enrolment with the Ministry of Colleges and Universities. Funding is released 7-10 days after the confirmation of enrolment is completed.
Confirm your enrolment with OSAP
SAFA will confirm your enrolment. We start this process at the beginning of each term and continue it throughout the term.
In order to have your enrolment confirmed:
- you must be fees arranged with Waterloo for the term in which you have applied to OSAP
- all program information on your application (including program, study period, course load, etc.) must match Quest
- all supporting documents must be received and approved
Other delays may occur due to extenuating circumstances, such as academic probation or previous income variances. If you are in this situation, please contact our office for more information.
Receive your funding
OSAP funding is sent directly to the University of Waterloo to pay fees owing each term. Any remaining OSAP funding will be deposited in your bank account when your fees are paid in full.
Make changes to your application
Complete the Application Update form when you need to update your:
- course load
- program information
- income, scholarships or other funding received during the pre-study or study period
Some other changes, such as marital status or name changes, can be made by submitting written notice, along with official documentation, to our office.
Add a term to your application
If you already have a confirmed OSAP application on file for the current school year, complete the Extension form to add a term if:
- you’re returning for an additional academic term during the same school year
- you’re on an official co-op work term and wish to apply for additional funding for living costs
- you have completed an undergraduate degree and are returning as a graduate student during the same school year
Apply for OSAP during a co-op term
You can apply for OSAP during an official co-op work term to help with living costs. If you’re taking a course during your co-op term, the tuition and fees will be added to your application, as well. However, there are things to consider:
- You must include any co-op earnings on your application as study period income
- You will incur more debt
- You will use up more weeks of your OSAP lifetime limit