- Keeping your student loans in interest-free status (for OSAP and other provincial loan programs)
- Changes to your OSAP application
- Satisfactory Academic Progress requirements
In order to maintain interest-free status, you must ensure that your previous lender and/or the National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) is informed that you are back in full-time studies so that you do not have to repay the loan(s) and interest while you are in school.
If you have previous Canada Student Loans, Ontario Student Loans, and/or Canada-Ontario Integrated Student Loans and plan to continue your studies and…
- You are getting a new Canada-Ontario Integrated Student Loan then your interest-free status will be updated automatically once the University of Waterloo confirms your enrolment with the Ministry. After which the ministry will electronically inform your previous lender and/or the NSLSC that you are still in school. In order for the University to confirm your enrolment your OSAP application must be complete and your registration status must be “fees arranged”
- You are not getting a new Canada-Ontario Integrated Student Loan then you must submit a signed Continuation of Interest-Free Status form to Student Awards & Financial Aid. Once your form is processed, the information will be electronically forwarded to your lender(s) and/or the National Student Loan Service Centre.
If you are on an official co-op work term you can submit a Continuation of Interest Free Status form so that your loans remain interest free during your work term. This is especially important if you are on an 8-month work term as you will go into repayment after 6 months.
Note: For other provincial loan programs, please complete a schedule 2 form; available from the Student Awards and Financial Aid Office.
After submitting your application, you must inform the Student Awards & Financial Aid office in writing of any changes in:
- course load changes
- study period income
- government income
- summer/work term income
- academic awards
- other income and investments
- marital status
- name change
Please submit an OSAP Application Update form to notify us of your changes. Please note some changes may require additional supporting documentation – contact Student Awards & Financial Aid for further information.
The Student Awards & Financial Aid Office is required by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities to monitor the academic progress of all students who receive provincial and/or federal funding. Students must maintain a minimum satisfactory academic progress to continue to be eligible for OSAP funding. Students who are not successful academically may be restricted from future OSAP funding.
If you are having difficulties with your studies, please contact your faculty for assistance. If you have questions about how these guidelines may affect you, please contact Student Awards & Financial Aid.