Automatic bursaries are issued to eligible students as part of Ontario's Student Access Guarantee (SAG). SAG ensures that post-secondary students with financial need have “enough financial aid to cover (their) assessed needs for expenses directly related to (their) program, including books, tuition and mandatory fees, that are not fully met by OSAP.”
To be considered for an automatic bursary:
- You must be a full-time, undergraduate student (excluding Pharmacy and Optometry)
- You are enrolled in a full-time course load for the current term (co-op work terms are not eligible)
- Your fees are arranged for the current term
- Your enrolment is confirmed with OSAP before the 100% refund period ends
- You expect to receive all OSAP loans and grants that you are eligible for (i.e. you will not apply for grant-only funding)
Receiving the bursary
The bursary is applied to your Quest account approximately 4 weeks after the term starts.
- If you have any outstanding fees with UWaterloo, the funds will be used to pay those fees first
- If your fees are paid in full, a cheque will be mailed to your address on Quest
- The bursary amount may be adjusted at any time if changes are made to your OSAP application such as course load or income
What if I don't qualify for the automatic bursary?
You can apply for the UWaterloo full-time bursary.