This bursary is awarded to full-time international undergraduates in Year 2 or above who can demonstrate exceptional or unexpected financial circumstances.
As an international student, you’re expected to have sufficient funding to meet your education-related costs. If this is not the case, you must provide supporting documentation along with a detailed explanation to confirm your situation.
Maximum assistance is $4,000 per fiscal year (May 1 – April 30).
You may apply for the international bursary if you meet all of the following criteria. You must be:
- Studying at UWaterloo on a valid study permit and paying international student fees
- An undergraduate student in Year 2 or above
- Fees arranged for the current term
- Enrolled in a full-time course load (60% or more) during the term in which you're applying
- In satisfactory academic standing
- Able to demonstrate financial need due to exceptional or unexpected circumstances
- Able to provide a detailed explanation and supporting documents regarding the lack of financial assistance from your home country
- Able to provide all necessary documentation required to process the application
- In receipt of less than $4000 in bursary funding for the current academic year
The following documents must be submitted to be considered for the bursary:
- A completed bursary application including:
- Your original signature
- Your parents’, spouse’s, and/or sponsor’s original signatures, where applicable (no scans or faxes, please)
- A copy of your valid study permit
- A signed, detailed letter from you explaining:
- Your exceptional or unexpected financial circumstances
- Your attempts to apply for government assistance from your home country
- Certified copies of your bank statements from the past 6 months
- If submitting online statements, attach confirmation from your bank that the account belongs to you (e.g. void cheque, direct deposit form with bank stamp)
- Proof of your parents’ or sponsor’s income (e.g. income tax assessments, pay stubs, letter from employer)
- Proof of any children living with you (if applicable)
Apply for a bursary
Applications are due:
- Fall term – October 15
- Winter term – February 15
- Spring term – June 15
- Bursary funding is limited. Bursaries are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no guarantee of funding.
- Late applications may be considered only if you’ve provided a detailed letter explaining the reasons for the late submission.
- If you have any outstanding fees with UWaterloo, the funds will be used to pay those first
- If your fees are paid in full, a cheque will be mailed to your address on Quest
- When the due date falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the deadline is the preceding Friday
- If you would like to make an appointment with a Financial Aid Counsellor, please call 519-888-4567, ext. 33583.