This bursary is awarded to full-time international undergraduates in Year 2 or above who can demonstrate exceptional or unexpected financial circumstances.
As an international student, you’re expected to have sufficient funding to meet your education-related costs. If this is not the case, you must provide supporting documentation along with a detailed explanation to confirm your situation.
Maximum assistance is $6,000 effective Sept 2020 per fiscal year (May 1 – April 30).
You may apply for the international bursary if you meet all of the following criteria. You must be:
- Studying at Waterloo on a valid study permit and paying international student fees
- An undergraduate student in Year 2 or above
- Fees arranged for the current term preferred. If the bursary is needed to help with the payment of fees, please contact Student Awards & Financial Aid
- Enrolled in a full-time course load (60% or more) during the term in which you're applying
- In satisfactory academic standing
- Able to demonstrate financial need due to exceptional or unexpected circumstances
- Able to provide a detailed explanation and supporting documents regarding the lack of financial assistance from your home country
- Able to provide all necessary documentation required to process the application
- In receipt of less than $6000 in bursary funding for the current academic year
The following documents must be submitted to be considered for the bursary:
- A completed bursary application including:
- Your signature and where applicable your parents’, spouse’s, and/or sponsor’s signatures
- scans and faxes are accepted
- A copy of your valid study permit
- A signed, detailed letter from you explaining:
- Your exceptional or unexpected financial circumstances
- Your attempts to apply for government assistance from your home country
- Proof of your parents’ or sponsor’s income (e.g. income tax assessments, pay stubs, letter from employer)
- Proof of any children living with you (if applicable)
Apply for a bursary
Applications are due:
- Fall term – October 30
- Winter term – February 28
- Spring term – June 22
Expect a processing time of 6-8 weeks from the start of the term for a bursary decision. Decisions will be emailed to your University of Waterloo email.
- Bursary funding is limited. Bursaries are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis. There is no guarantee of funding.
- Late applications may be considered only if you’ve provided a detailed letter explaining the reasons for the late submission
- If you have any outstanding fees with Waterloo, the funds will be used to pay those first
- If your fees are paid in full, the funds will be directly deposited to your Canadian banking information on Quest. Follow instructions here to set up banking details on quest.
- When the due date falls on a Saturday or Sunday, the deadline is the preceding Friday
- If you would like to make an appointment with a financial aid counsellor, please call 519-888-4567, ext. 33583
Academic Readiness bursary
Students applying for the Academic readiness bursary are required to complete the International Undergraduate Bursary Application and provide a detailed written statement explaining the expenses, along with any receipts (or estimates).
Please indicate at the top of the bursary application that you are applying for the Academic readiness bursary.
Expect a processing time of up to 10 business days. Decisions will be emailed to your University of Waterloo email.