Complying with immigration guidelines while studying

Estimated reading time: 7-11 minutes | Information for undergraduates and graduate (Masters and PhD) students

Passport photo header

Learn what you need to do to legally study and work in Canada and how immigration terminology relates to University of Waterloo processes. 

If you have any questions or concerns about these terms and conditions, please speak with a Waterloo immigration consultant to discuss your options.

Information for undergraduate degree students

Information for graduate (Masters and PhD) students

The following scenarios outline how Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada's (IRCC) policies regarding working as a full-time student relate to the University of Waterloo's enrolment rules. 

Please note:

  • There may be serious consequences if you incorrectly change your enrolment status and fail to abide by the IRCC's regulations. For example, IRCC may take enforcement action and/or your future applications may be negatively impacted, such as a refused study permit, post-graduation work permit or permanent residency application.
  • It is important to remain registered full-time. Post-graduation work permit eligibility requires continuous full-time study except for part-time registration in your final academic term.
  • If you still hold a valid open work permit that was obtained prior to starting your studies at Waterloo and you want to use it to work more than the study permit regulations allow, please speak with one of our immigration consultants.
  • Your University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP) will continue in all the scenarios. Contact Student Financial Services for more information about your specific situation.