Monday, March 11, 2019

Your 2018 income tax return is due to the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) by April 30, 2019. All students are encouraged to file a tax return even if you didn't have any income. If you are unsure of how to file your documents, there are resources on campus and in the community that can help.

Resources on campus: 

  • Attend the free AFSA Tax Clinic in March held by the Accounting and Finance Student Association (AFSA) at Waterloo to have a volunteer complete your income tax return for you. You need to bring them the documents listed on the website and meet their requirements to attend.
  • Attend the Income Tax Return Information Session delivered by a representative from the CRA. This session is open to undergraduate and graduate international students. You will learn the basics of how to file your own income tax return and understand more about the Canadian tax system. 
  • Join the Graduate Student Association (GSA) for free income tax aid in March. No registration is necessary. Also, income tax consultations are available to graduate students in March and April of each year. You can book a free appointment with the Graduate Student Association (GSA) accountant. The accountant will not complete your income tax return for you, but can help you understand how to complete the forms and answer questions. 

Resources in the community: 

  • Use tax preparation software to complete and submit your own income tax return online. The CRA website has a list of tax preparation software that you can use. 
  • Use the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program (CVITP) or other free tax clinics in Waterloo Region and have a volunteer complete your income tax return for free.
  • Pay an income tax professional or accountant to complete your income tax return for you. If you would like a professional tax preparer to do your income tax return, you can search online for a reputable firm in the city. 

For more information about Canadian taxes, please see filing an income tax return as a student on the Government of Canada's website or contact the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA)