New immigration updates for international students

Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has released study permit and post-graduation work permit updates. Learn how this may impact you and speak with an immigration consultant if you have questions.

Study permit update

Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) released a detailed explanation of what it means to actively study on a study permit in Canada and what immigration officers use to determine compliance. This includes how your status in Canada could be affected by a leave from studies. If you would like to be more informed of this policy, you can register to attend the Immigration 101 information session on April 11. If you have questions about how a past or future leave from studies could impact your status in Canada, please speak with an immigration consultant in the Student Success Office.

Post-graduation work permit update

On February 14, 2019, IRCC updated their policy regarding the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program. If you are planning on applying for the work permit upon completion of your degree, it is important that you know the changes that could impact you. The main changes are:

  1. It is now required that applicants submit both an official completion of studies letter and transcripts. We recommend official transcripts. If you have had any part-time terms (other than your very last term), leave of absences from school, and/or took an extended amount of time to complete your degree, we strongly recommend you speak to an immigration consultant in the Student Success Office prior to submitting the application.
  2. The time period to apply for this work permit has been extended to 180 days from 90 days. The period starts after final grade release or receiving written confirmation of program completion, whichever is first. However, it is important to remember that your study permit automatically expires 90 days after completion of studies. If you plan on applying for the post-graduation work permit more than 90 days after completion of studies, you would need to apply to change your student status to a visitor, even if your study permit is still valid. 
  3. A study permit is no longer required to apply for the post-graduation work permit. However, if you want to start working in Canada immediately after submitting the work permit application from within Canada, you need to have a valid study permit at the time of application and meet R186(w) requirements.