Why get involved?
Networking: An expanded professional network, with new contacts from across water sectors
- Collaboration: An opportunity to collaborate with brilliant minds on campus and the Water Institute
- Training: SWIGS members have the opportunity to participate in professional development events throughout the year
What does the SWIGS executive committee do?
- Organizes networking and educational events
- Hosts guest speakers at different events to share their expertise in the water sector
- Organizes an participates in outreach activities in the Waterloo Region
- Shares information about the Water Institute and its activities
- Act as Water Institute ambassadors for the University of Waterloo
All executive positions are on a volunteer basis and are elected by students in April each year.
The roles of the Executives:
The Chair (Tyler Hampton):
- organizes the general operations of SWIGS, supports the duties of all executives
- acts as a liaison between SWIGS and the Water Institute, attends Strategic Planning Committee meetings, and acts as the official SWIGS spokesperson to contacts outside of the University of Waterloo
- prepares the annual report to the Water Institute and the incoming executive team
Vice-Chair Operations (Samina Hayat):
- maintains all communications with membership, including emails, the SWIGS website, membership lists, social media, blog posts, etc.
- supports the advertisement and logistic of events organized by other executives
- maintains the annual budget for SWIGS
- contributes to the quarterly article SplashPad by the Water Institute
- organizes academic events, such as lunchtime sessions, academic workshops, panel discussions, etc.
- organize and promote opportunities outside of UWaterloo campus, including at other Universities and within the local community
- coordinate social and political efforts related to water that are supported by SWIGS
- past examples: water bar event with the Region of Waterloo, Healthy Kids Community Challenge, reaching out to Elmira over the Nestle concerns, etc.
Vice Chair Conference (Sondus Jamal):
- support the Water Institute with the annual World Water Day celebrations, and other Water Institute conferences
Vice Chair Social
- organize social events for SWIGS members
- organizes Blue Drinks events with invited guest speakers.
Note that executives tend to work collaboratively, and the roles tend to blend as all members work together as a team.