Gifts from the United States

Waterloo alumni and friends who live in the U.S. can support Waterloo while taking advantage of charitable tax deductions.

Tax benefits f​or United States residents

Under the Canada-United States Income Tax Convention, a resident of the United States is entitled to a charitable deduction for gifts to a Canadian university, provided he or she or a family member is or was enrolled at the university. A family member is defined as a spouse, child, grandchild, parent, or sibling.

A Canadian tax receipt will be issued, which can be used for U.S. income tax benefits. The University of Waterloo’s Employer Identification Number (EIN) is 980061413.

If you do not fall into one of the above categories, or if you make your gift to Waterloo through a U.S. organization, you can still receive tax advantages through:

Friends of University of Waterloo Foundation
3815 N. Dickerson Street
Arlington, Virginia 22207-2968

The Foundation will direct your funds to the Waterloo project of your choice, and will provide you with a U.S. tax receipt.

Types of gifts by Americans to Canadian universities

  • cash contributions
  • securities and real estate
  • real estate situated in Canada
  • tangible personal property
  • bequests
  • charitable remainder trusts and annuity trusts
  • charitable remainder unitrusts
  • gifts of real estate with retained life interest
  • gifts of life insurance

Alumni and friends living outside of Canada or the United States can donate online or by mail, and receive an income tax receipt in Canadian currency.

For more information, contact Meghan Whitfield

*The University of Waterloo has the status of a 501 (c) (3) organization according to the U.S. Internal Revenue Service. As such, contributions to the University by U.S. citizens (alumni or parents of Waterloo students) are deductible by U.S. taxpayers in the same manner and amounts as if those contributions were made to domestic U.S. charitable organizations.