Interested in Affordable Research?
Become a Waterloo Region Area Survey Partner
Individualized research on an affordable budget! The Waterloo Region Area Survey (WRAS) is a unique opportunity for agencies and organizations with limited budgets. The Survey Research Centre conducts the Waterloo Region area survey on an annual basis.
- Collect survey research data from a regional random sample at a fraction of the cost of an independent telephone and web study
- Utilize your questions to test research concepts such as:
- gauging public opinions on specific issues
- measuring awareness and usage of services or products
- refining survey questions for other research
- Use the expertise at the Survey Research Centre to:
- ensure survey questions are structured to reduce bias
- collect the highest-quality data
- maximize response rate
Study population: Adult residents within Waterloo Region, including Kitchener, Waterloo, Cambridge and the four townships.
Sample size: 500 completed surveys, representative by region/municipality and age.
Methodology: Random-digit dialed (RDD) telephone (using both landline and cell phone telephone numbers) and web surveys. RDD sampling of households within the Waterloo Region population and random selection within the household are used in initial recruitment by the Survey Research Centre. This approach more accurately represents the Waterloo Region compared to non-probability sampling methods, such as recruiting members from web panel firms. The sample used for the web component of the Waterloo Region Area Survey was originally recruited using the RDD telephone approach. Having an unbiased random selection of respondents and data that are representative of the population are important aspects of data relevance and utility.
Cost: $3,290 for a page of 4-5 questions (versus the cost of a similar-sized, independent telephone study: $18,000; or cost of a similar-sized, independent web study: $7,000). For more information about the Waterloo Region Area Survey, please contact Beth McLay or call 519 888-4567 ext. 30558.
- Defined as 4-5 survey questions word-processed and reasonably formatted
- Includes data from standard survey demographic questions such as age, gender, employment status and household income.
- Includes a codebook, data file in SPSS or Excel/CSV format, frequency tables that provide the detailed distribution of the survey responses and technical report summarizing the conduct of the survey. Data analysis or reporting of survey results is not included.
Can't wait until the next Waterloo Region Area Survey?
Consider using the Waterloo Region Area web survey panel. The Survey Research Centre maintains a small probability-based web survey panel that is fielded in conjunction with the Waterloo Region Area Survey. For more immediate projects that do not require large sample sizes of Waterloo Region residents (e.g. n=150 respondents or fewer), a web survey can be fielded at any time.