WAT's Sustainable, Waterloo? Welcome to the official Sustainability's Office's official podcast: WAT's Sustainable?
On episode 08, we learn about auto cities, including their history in relation to the boom in the automotive industry, how auto cities impact the environment as well as our health and wellbeing, and ways we can promote more sustainable travel within our auto-focused communities.
- Automobile Dependency by the Victoria Transport Policy Institute
- CAA (2021) article: Poor roads cost Canadians $3 billion annually
- Canada Motor Vehicle Traffic Collision Statistics: 2018
- Future Cities Canada (2018): How to be Smart(er) in Mid-Sized Cities in Ontario
- Infrastructure Canada (2021): Abegweit First Nation to benefit from active transportation and social infrastructure investments
- Ministry of Ontario (2019) Ontario Road Safety Annual Report Selected Statistics
- National Resources Canada (2014) AutoSmart: Learn the facts - fuel consumption and CO2
- Roads and Highways article by The Canadian Encylopedia
- Statistics Canada (2016) Study: Long commutes to work by car
- Canadian Automotive Museum
- Car-Free places around the world
- City of Waterloo transportation master plan updates
- Ford, Cars, and a New Revolution: Crash Course History of Science #28
- Smart Growth Toolkit for Strong/Smart communities
- Sustainability Office's Transportation and Grounds Data
- Toronto’s PATH – the Downtown Pedestrian Walkway
Download the transcription with time stamps and resources. A .txt version of the transcript is also available for accessibility (scroll to bottom of page).
We want to hear from you!
Do you have any ideas or topics you'd like us to cover, accessibility concerns or feedback on a particular episode? Email us at email@example.com.