Engineering 5, 6th Floor
519-888-4567, Extension 32600
The Department of Systems Design Engineering at the University of Waterloo is the only one of its kind in Canada. Since its start in 1969, the department has developed a unique interdisciplinary undergraduate program and also boasts leading edge research in emerging areas, such as bioengineering.
The undergraduate curriculum spans topics needed by a problem solving, design oriented engineer. We offer a well balanced program, designed to enable students to find optimum solutions to multi-faceted complex problems. It covers technical, environmental, socioeconomic and political aspects of the engineering process using systems design methodology.
The Department of Systems Design Engineering consists of:
- 31 full-time faculty members
- 1 faculty member jointly appointed to the Department of Philosophy
- Home of the Centre for Society, Technology and Values (CSTV), which has two full-time faculty members
- 8 administrative office staff
- 6 technical staff
- enrolls 100 undergraduate students each year
- currently has 492 undergraduates either on campus or on work terms
- 115 graduate students (MASc and PhD)
- thousands of alumni worldwide
Our primary mission is to provide our students with the best possible education to enable them to become wise and knowledgeable leaders. It is our objective to furnish our students with a solid engineering education that will equip them to think clearly, logically, and originally when they create solutions to challenging interdisciplinary problems.