The Centre COVID-19 update

In person operations of The Centre are closed indefinitely due to COVID-19. Please connect with us by email, live chat, or at 519-888-4567, ext. 42268. Our hours are 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. - Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, and 8:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Wednesdays. Official documents will continue to be processed and can be ordered online for mail or courier. 

Fees and funding

exchange of money

The difference between Student Financial Services (SFS) and Student Awards & Financial Aid (SAFA)  

There are two separate departments on campus that are involved with student finances – Student Financial Services (SFS) and Student Awards & Financial Aid (SAFA). The main difference is SFS takes your money and SAFA gives you money.

Student Financial Services (SFS) puts tuition fees on your Quest account and you pay your fees to them. The quickest and cheapest way to make a domestic bank payment is by online banking using your student number as the account number. If that isn't possible, they accept a certified cheque, money order, or a bank draft. They’re located in East Campus 5 (EC5) but The Centre can help you with many SFS-related questions.

To make an international tuition payment, use the GlobalPay for Students, or CIBC International Student Pay. The service is convenient, cheaper than a traditional wire transfer, and posted quickly to your student account.

The Centre and SFS can help you with: University Health Insurance Plan (UHIP), understanding your fees, late fees, financial holds on your account, Becoming "Fees Arranged", due dates and deadlines, Promissory Notes, payments, refunds, and tax receipts. 

SAFA provides financial support, information, and advice to help students achieve their post-secondary goals. SAFA administers and processes OSAP and out-of-province aid, awards and scholarships, bursaries, work-study programs, and financial aid forms. For financial aid forms, submit in person at The Centre, by mail, or through Sendit, the University of Waterloo's secure file transfer service (available to enrolled students only).

The bot

Question? Ask the bot!