Eighth Biennial Graduate Student Conference
Texts, Experiences, Interpretations
The eighth biennial Graduate Student Conference hosted by the Toronto Mennonite Theological Centre invites proposals for scholarly papers that explore texts, experiences, and/or interpretations. The primary purpose of the conference is to provide a forum for graduate students who work on Anabaptist/Mennonite related topics and/or who identify with Anabaptist/Mennonite traditions to present their ongoing academic research in an interdisciplinary context and engage with each other as colleagues and peers.
Possible paper topics may include the following:
- Interpretive and comparative work on scholarly texts, lived experiences, and established interpretations in disciplines including, but not limited to, theology, biblical studies, ethics, philosophy, religious studies, sociology, social development studies, globalization studies, diaspora studies, history, literature, musicology, international development studies, and peace and conflict transformation studies, etc.
- Papers that deal with texts by Anabaptist/Mennonite related authors, both historical and contemporary, and in the context of the global Anabaptist perspective (ex. the Global South).
- The unfolding of Anabaptist/Mennonite history and historiography.
- The roles and interpretations of experiences and texts in theology broadly construed.
- The roles of lived experience in congregational life for ecclesiology, and topics in practical theology and/or homiletics.
- Biblical hermeneutics and interpretive method, and the constructive or critical interpretation of Biblical texts.
- Conversations in feminist theology (including, but not limited to the intersections of feminism and Mennonite theology).
The conference will take place June 14-16, 2018 at the Toronto Mennonite Theological Centre, Toronto, Ontario. TMTC also expects to make travel bursaries available to qualifying presenters, and details about accommodations will be released closer to the conference date.
Please send paper proposals, including a title, of maximum 300 words to email@example.com by January 15, 2018. For the purposes of blind review, please do not include your name and affiliation in your paper proposal – only in your email message.