The Mennonite Scholars and Friends (MSF) at the AAR/SBL Program Committee invites proposals for papers on the theme of mission. Accepted papers will be circulated in advance of the forum and presenters will be given time for a brief (~10 min) introduction to their work before moving to a time of small and large group conversation. Proposals from biblical scholars, theologians, ethicists, historians, church leaders, practitioners, and others involved in mission work broadly conceived are welcome. Topics may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- biblical foundations of mission
- theological and historical missiological engagements
- colonial legacies of mission
- changing mission practice and its implications
- mission and the church including relationships to parachurch organizations
- challenges to/from mission including issues of gender, sexuality, (im)migration, postsecularism, etc.
The committee hopes to generate lively discussion on what these issues mean for Anabaptists/Mennonites in the 21st century. Proposals of not more than 300 words should be submitted by April 1, 2018 to firstname.lastname@example.org. The 2018 forum will be held in Denver, Colorado on Friday, November 16th from 6:30–8:30pm.