The Women in Engineering Living Learning Community at United College is a residence community for women in the Faculty of Engineering at the University of Waterloo. United College is one of the University of Waterloo's residences, located conveniently on campus.
This live-in program supports the unique needs of first-year women-identified Engineering students and allows you to develop social networks that can help you succeed.
** Typically students in the WiE LLC are placed in Double Rooms, however, due to the ongoing COVID-19 situation students may be placed in Single Rooms**
You will live at St. Paul’s with other women-identified first-year Engineering students, where you can expect to:
1. Build relationships and community networks that will support you as you begin your university life.
2. Benefit from:
- Upper-year Peer Leaders from Engineering programs who understand your experience and are trained to provide support
- Participation in selected activities designed in consultation with the Faculty of Engineering
- Support from trained residence leaders and access to resources
3. Learn from (and make friends with!) other first-year students in the same academic program.
Important to know
1. The WiE LLC is not designed to be an enrichment program. The University of Waterloo has a considerable support network of tutors, help sessions, and workshops. The WiE LLC supports students’ academic success indirectly by creating a sense of belonging and strong community connections and networks.
2. St. Paul’s is a co-ed residence and although the WiE LLC is for women-identified students, there will also be male-identified students in this residence and women may not be placed on all Female floor.
3. Students in the WiE LLC will be placed into clusters of 8 - 12 students. Other students on the floor may be from any faculty or program to give students an opportunity to meet others from a diverse range of academic interests.
How to apply
It's an easy process
1. Accept your Offer of Admission to Engineering, and complete your online WIE LLC application. We will contact you to let you know if you have been accepted.
2. You will then need to fill out your First Year Residence Application by June 1 at 11:59 pm, along with a $500 residence deposit. (This amount will also be deducted from your residence fees). You must rank St. Paul's #1 on this form in order to be in the Living Learning Community.
3. Once accepted to St. Paul's you will receive your contract to sign! We'll also send you a personal information form so we can match you with an ideal roommate!
For more information, please contact Steve Prentice.
The nice thing about United was that I had the Women in Engineering Living-Learning Community, surrounded by like-minded people and study groups... Everyone was really awesome.
I really love St. Paul's. A bunch of the girls and I became super close. We eat together, we hang out together. We formed a really strong bond.