Whether you are coming to connect with others at the soup lunch, participate in our cultural programming, or learn more about what it means to be Indigenous, we are here to support you on your journey through post-secondary.
Below is a list of ways we currently support Indigenous students on campus.
Please feel free to contact us through email to let us know of any ways that we may be able to better support you as an Indigenous student on campus: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Indigenous Student Association (ISA) is a student-run collective that supports the needs and interests of Indigenous undergraduate and graduate students on campus.
It has no affiliation with the Waterloo Indigenous Student Centre (WISC). However, in previous years, many of the students who were part of the ISA found solace in the WISC space and the support that Washington provided there.
The WISC assistant provides mentorship to the ISA if needed, but as a student-led group, the ISA is completely student-run and the WISC has no involvement in their initiatives or association. Other than providing guidance and support, if needed.
- Indigenous Student Support Academics: We can help with funding and finding a tutor
- Cultural programming: Elder teachings, drum teachings Tuesdays 1-2pm, Thursdays 1-2pm
- Food Share: Partnering with a community organization Wisahkotewinowak we are able to provide fresh food weely, and bi-weekly we provide non-perishables with the help of WUSA
- Housing: Waterloo Indigenous Student Residence
- Socials: Soup lunches are Thursdays from 12-2pm; hosted by volunteers across campus (email above to find out about hosting one of our soup lunches
- Lunch and Learn: Keep your eye on our social media for workshops we are offering or sharing from other important schools or organizations in the community
- Referrals: If your looking for supports on campus or in the local KW community we can guide you, so please feel free to come in person or email and let us know
- Resource Library: Borrow a book from the library, acess to audible books
- Personal support: We are here for you! Our focus is to facilitate well-being in a wholistic way for all Indigenous students