by Kirsty Budd, Student Success Office.
The University of Waterloo's United Way campaign has shown the generosity of the campus community along with its creativity as departments, faculties, units and campuses planned events ranging from talent auctions to bingo to raise money.
Some highlights from this year's United Way campaign events include:
- The Office of Research held events throughout the year running everything from bake sales to dress down days and over the course of the year their events raised over $1,600.
- The Office of Development and Alumni Affairs made it even easier for their staff to contribute to multiple events this year by creating the 'Ultimate Ticket'. A system was set up allowing staff members to make a one-time purchase to participate in as many of ODAA's events as they wished to. Each staff member could purchase a different version of the ‘Ultimate Ticket’ depending on which events they wanted to attend.
- The Faculty of Applied Health Sciences raised $2066.45 over the month with many successful events ranging from a pancake breakfast to a silent auction
- Plant Operations and Health and Safety held a BBQ (during much warmer weather) at the beginning of October, raising $311.
- The Centre for Extending Learning in Kitchener also got in on the action raising nearly $1,200 with a samosa launch, 50/50 draws, a Halloween costume party and a silent auction.
Events are another way to make a contribution to the campaign and there is still time to host an easy-to-run event, like a dress down day or 50/50 draw to contribute to the 2012 campaign. You can find more event ideas on the United Way's website.