We want to ensure you have the tools and resources you need as an Ambassador to run an effective United Way campaign in your department.
Click to view and download any of the following resources:
- 2019 Ambassador Toolkit
- Ambassador Training Video (coming soon)
- United Way resources:
Contact our Office Manager to access any of the following resources:
- United Way stickers
- Agency IMPACT speakers
- United Way WRC FAQ
- Promotional videos
- An update on your department's participation rate and total dollars raised
Please note supplies are limited, but we will do our best to provide you with what you need.
You can also visit the United Way Waterloo Region Communities website for other materials and templates.
The key to a successful event is planning. if you're hosting a United Way event on campus, think about the following:
- Know your audience - what types of events will or won't work for them?
- Recruit volunteers
- Have a brainstorming session with your volunteers
- If you plan to host an event that includes food, please review the food safety guide.
- Set objectives and goals for your event
- Choose a location & date for the event - then work back from that date
- Expect the unexpected -- be flexible and prepare contingency plans
- Communicate the event -- before, during and after
- Keep your Human Resources or pertinent manager informed of your event details
- Create sponsorship opportunities -- ask for donated goods/services
- Thank volunteers, participants, sponsors, and donors
- Keep a record of everything so that it can be repeated next year
Community Relations also offers an extensive event planning guide that may also be helpful for you to review.
Try to incorporate awareness into special events rather than using them as fundraising events. A great idea is to have participants return their pledge card to gain entry into an event.
If you're hosting an event that includes food, please review the food safety guide.
Dress up days - Encourage your colleagues to dress the part of a specific theme or era to coincide with a theme day or campaign theme.
Decorating contest - Have employees decorate their office or cubicle based on campaign theme.
Have a heart - A paper heart is hung on the wall when a colleague turns in a pledge card. During the campaign, pass out heart shaped balloons and candy hearts to employees.
Mini golf in the office - Set up a mini golf course in the office, or have each department build their own hole, with various obstacles. Give prizes for hole in one, best-dressed golfer, best designed hole etc.
Executive auction - Employees bid on executives to swap job responsibilities and offices for an hour or half a day.
Warm fuzzies - Set up a table where employees can purchase a 'warm fuzzy' to send to a fellow employee. They could be carnations, candy etc., accompanied by "you're appreciated" cards!
Service auction - Auction off services of different employees i.e. Someone will clean your office, wash your car, give up their parking spot, bring you lunch.
Balloon pop - A variation of a traditional raffle. Before filling a balloon with helium put either a thank you note or a slip with a prize written on it into each balloon. Employees pay to buy a balloon and pop it to find out what prize they've won. You could also include a United Way fact inside each balloon.