Information for UW WELL-FIT participants
Before beginning the 12 week UW WELL-FIT exercise program for individuals undergoing chemotherapy, radiation or hormone treatment, you will be assessed by UW Fitness staff to determine exercise baselines.
This assessment takes approximately one hour and 30 minutes to complete. All information regarding directions and preliminary instructions to follow on the day of the assessment are outlined below.
If you have any questions after reading this information, please contact UW Fitness at 519-888-4567, ext. 36841 for clarification.
Preliminary instructions for assessment
- Short sleeved/sleeveless shirt and shorts/track pants/yoga pants should be worn (something you can move comfortably in). Running shoes are the recommended footwear. We have washrooms and change facilities with showers available if needed.
Food and beverages
- It is recommended that you do not eat a heavy meal within three to four hours prior to the assessment. A light meal/snack is fine, as you should not attempt the assessment on an empty stomach.
- Avoid drinking beverages, especially those that are caffeinated, four hours prior to the assessment. If you must, try to drink a minimal amount of water.
- Do not ingest diuretics, before the assessment unless they are prescribed by a physician.
- Avoid alcoholic beverages for 48 hours prior to your assessment.
- Bring a water bottle to the assessment if you have one. We ask that you also bring a water bottle to all exercise sessions. We have a water cooler you can fill your bottle up from when needed and spare paper cups in the event you forget your bottle.
- Empty your bladder 30 minutes before test.
- If you are a smoker, avoid smoking for two hours prior to the assessment.
- Exercise should be avoided 12 hours prior to the assessment.
Please bring a list of all medications you are currently taking.
Directions to UW Fitness
The UW WELL-FIT program is located in the Manulife Wellness Center, at the University of Waterloo in the Lyle S. Hallman Institute for Health Promotion, Room 1606.
The most direct way - Enter the North Campus entrance from Columbia St, located between Westmount Rd. and Phillip St.
- If coming from Westmount Rd, turn right into the campus at Hagey Blvd.
- If coming from the Phillip St (also from King St), turn left into the campus at Hagey Blvd.
- Either way, at the stop sign, turn right.
- Take your first left into LOT M.
- When you pull in, you will see a long single story building ahead on the left hand side. This is the Manulife Wellness Centre which is attached to the Lyle S. Hallman Institute for Health Promotion.
- From Lot M, walk towards the construction trailer and follow the path between the fencing and the building. The entry is along this side of the building bordering the parking lot. Enter through the single door marked for UW WELL-FIT.
- Once inside, go through the glass door on the left, walk through the waiting area until you reach room 1606 on the right hand side.
UW WELL-FIT parking instructions
There is no cost to the 12 week exercise program for people in treatment; however, if you will be parking on campus, we can provide you with a discounted parking pass that you can use for the duration of the 12 week program.
The parking pass is $50.00 and can be paid in cash or cheque (made payable to University of Waterloo) when you come for your assessment. This is the only cost associated with the program.
Upon arriving to your assessment you can obtain the parking pass from us that you will place on the dashboard of your vehicle. You will keep this pass for the duration of your stay in the UW WELL-FIT program, and we ask that you return your pass in a timely fashion upon completion of the program.
Every pass will be numbered and tracked on our database, as we are accountable for all passes distributed. It is imperative that you are using the pass for UW WELL-FIT purposes only, and within the time specified for your particular class.
Please keep this pass in a safe place, as we cannot replace lost/stolen passes for any reason. Also, it is your responsibility to ensure the pass is visible on your dashboard each time you come to the exercise program in order to avoid getting a parking ticket.