Environment undergraduate and graduate students are eligible to opt-out of its $30.00 contribution to the Waterloo Environment Students Endowment Fund (WESEF).
When you request for a WESEF contribution refund, you will not be able to submit WESEF proposals for that given term.
Please read through all the information before opting out of the endowment fund.
WESEF is important
We need WESEF to fund projects for Environment students. As university budgets continue to shrink, WESEF has become increasingly important to maintaining and enhancing the quality of our educational environment. As of April 2009, your contributions have helped to fund Environment projects worth nearly $500,000.
WESEF makes a difference to Environment academic and student life
During the 2008-2009 academic year, WESEF made projects happen through the contributions of Environment students.
- Orientation Week 2009 (water bottles, Alternatives Magazine subscriptions)
- Maud Barlow Just Tap It! Don't Toss It guest speaker
- Mapping, Analysis & Design (MAD) multimedia equipment: Camcorders, GPS units, and still camera
- Environment graduate student workspace: Environment 1 (EV1) room 107 revitalization (plants and common kitchenware)
- University of Waterloo Sustainability Project (UWSP): Active transportation maps (displayed in EV1)
- Environment & Business conference
- Interdisciplinary Centre on Climate Change (IC3): Cranking up the Arctic Heat conference
- Magellan Lab furniture chairs
- Black and white printer for MAD general lab
- Workshop equipment (replacement band saw, hot wire cutters)
- Environment Student Society (ESS) and coffee shop upgrades (catering fridge, catering supplies, office cabinets storage, ESS bulletin board)
WESEF needs you
We need strong, committed individuals in all aspects of our operation. Getting involved in WESEF allows you to develop leadership, mediation and financial management skills that can truly add value to your future endeavours. You can get involved by:
- Submitting a proposal for a project.
You can do so by filling out a proposal application.
- Becoming one of our four officers
Chair, Vice-chair, Secretary, or Treasurer. Email us for details.
- Becoming a board representative
Each student association appoints a representative each term on the Board of Directors. Email us for details.
If you have read through all the above information, and would still like to receive your refund, you can opt out of endowment fund fees in the Finances section of your Quest account. Please use the Quest “how to” link if you have difficulty finding the information.
If you request a refund within the first few weeks of the term, cheques are sent out over a 2 week period in the 10th or 11th week of the term to the address listed on your Quest account. Finance will credit your account if you owe money, or will combine your refund with other money owed to you into one cheque. If you have not received your cheque by the 13th week, please contact us.