SEEKING EXPRESSIONS OF INTEREST: POST-DOCTORAL RESEARCH OPPORTUNITIES
University of Waterloo – Waterloo Institute for Social Innovation and Resilience (WISIR)
Location: Remote (Waterloo, ON)
Start date: Early 2022
The University of Waterloo’s Waterloo Institute for Social Innovation and Resilience (WISIR) is seeking post-doctoral researchers to join an interdisciplinary, community-integrated research team for up to two years to explore evaluation, system mapping, and peer-learning within the Canadian social finance ecosystem. The goals of this research will also include ensuring access and inclusivity for diverse Canadians, and increasing the system’s impact and resilience.
Social financing involves investments which seek measurable social and environmental outcomes alongside financial returns. The primary objective of WISIR’s participatory action research project is to facilitate the emergence of stronger self-governance within the Canadian social finance sector that ultimately leads to more social financing investments with greater social and environmental impact. While the project is still subject to funding and scoping constraints, it is expected that the following three interrelated objectives will guide the research:
- conduct a design-led principles-based evaluation
- build a participatory system map of the Canadian social economy ecosystem and
- support capacity-building within the sector through peer-learning
Methods to support this research will include secondary data analysis, key informant interviews, surveys, participatory budgeting, administrative data analysis, teaching case study development, participant observation during training sessions, direct support for advocacy by equity-deserving communities, reflections of the research team, and co-design activities at system convenings.
WISIR is seeking to hire up to three post-doctoral researchers with experience and expertise tied to any of the three objectives listed above which can be grounded in research from fields including (but not limited to):
- business administration,
- adult education,
- public health,
- public policy,
- community psychology, or
The ideal candidate will have experience:
- Working alongside researchers from a variety of disciplines as well as non-research organizational partners and field practitioners
- Conducting community-based, participatory research with a high degree of complexity and emergence
- Working in a mostly- to fully- remote setting
- Adjusting research efforts with the evolving needs of subjects and practitioners
- Managing research methods, data, and staff independently as well as within a team
Expected salary: $45,000/year plus benefits for an anticipated 35 hours per week of work
Interested candidates are invited to submit a statement of interest and a current CV to email@example.com. General questions about the opportunity may be submitted directly to Dr. Sean Geobey, Co-Director at WISIR at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the subject header "WISIR 2022 POSTDOC INQUIRY" for applications and questions. Applications will be accepted until all positions are filled.